SAM’s Safety Department works closely with project managers to identify and support client and project safety requirements. We write client-specific safety manuals and communicate this information to project staff through focused training sessions, safety meetings and our internal web portal. Compliance is verified in the field through our CORE Observation program.
Through ongoing training, we ensure client sites remain safe throughout the project. Training is refreshed and reinforced via weekly safety meetings and daily use of the Job Hazard Analysis (JHA) form. Crew chiefs are responsible for completing a daily JHA to assess evolving work conditions. All employees have both the authority and obligation to stop work in the event of a hazard that cannot be eliminated or significantly mitigated through the application of administrative controls, engineering controls, or as a last resort, Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
Workplace safety requirements
SAM’s commitment to “Safety” as a Core Value encourages two-way communication and celebrates employee participation.
- Background and driving records screening
- Substance Abuse Testing
- SAM Safety Orientation
- First Aid, CPR and BBP training
- OSHA-10 or OSHA-30 Certification
- Smith System Driver Certification
- Task-specific and client-specific training
Project Safety Planning
- SAM Risk Assessment and Mitigation Plans
- Site Specific Safety Plans
- Project Kickoff Meetings
- Daily Job Hazard Analysis
- CORE Observation Program
- App-based JHA submittal and tracking system
- App-based incident reporting and tracking system
- App-based document assignment, acknowledgement, review, and correction system
- Vehicle telematics and driver event monitoring
- Weekly safety meetings
- Project Manager training
- Monthly Safety Committee meetings
- Executive Management bi-weekly safety briefings
- Employee recognition system
- Employee service and safe service hours recognition
- App-based safety engagement, gamification, and social reward system
Todd Baker, our Director of Health and Safety, can assist you with all of your Health and Safety management needs.